Monday 1 February 2010

Sponsors and ramping up the training

Having come to terms with the fact that I am now signed up for one of the world's toughest ultras (re-reading Frank Fumich's experience did give me a few substantial doubts!) I am now back into looking for new kit. In Namibia I used trainers made by UK Gear who work with the physical training corps of the British Army. I figured kit tested in Afghanistan and Iraq should be up to the Namib desert and I wasn't disappointed - no sand in my shoes and no blisters all week! As good as an endorsement as I can give a pair of trainers! I lost a fair few toenails but you can't have everything. I contacted UK Gear to see about a trail running shoe I can use for the UTMB and thought I may as well ask if they would consider sponsoring me. The result was yes they would and I am meeting up with one of their guys to discuss sponsorship and also get my hands on a new pair of trainers.

I wrote them a review of the desert shoe which you can read below if you are in need of a shoe that is good in sand, rocks and temperatures up to about 50 degrees!

http://www.ukgear.com/Pages/Media-Centre/Product-Reviews/Consumer-Reviews/251-PT-03-DESERT-Alex-Howarth,-Namibia-2009.html

Next up is a cheeky 50k dash across the north downs - suspect it might actually be easier than the hour and half 5-a-side footy I played on Saturday - first outing in over a year and still feeling it!

No comments:

Post a Comment